[PD] netsend~ for libpd

Peter Brinkmann peter.brinkmann at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 5 19:18:14 CET 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Jeppi Jeppi <jeppiot at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi people!
> well this is a feature request...I see the netsend~/netreceive~ objects
> from http://www.nullmedium.de/dev/netsend~/ are not included in the
> pd-extended release. They are *super* useful and I would like to know if
> there is any replacement to send audio streams through a network (fast,not a
> webcast/icecast broadcast scheme).
> Indeed, I would like to have them included in libpd...how should I proceed
> to do that?

Easy --- simply persuade Miller to add them to Pd Vanilla ;)

But seriously, libpd itself only tracks Pd Vanilla, and it doesn't
even compile the standard externals (e.g., fiddle~) into the core
binary.  (The standard externals are packaged with libpd, though, and
there's support for using them if you need to.)

Generally speaking, externals are less important when working with
libpd because it's frequently easier to implement the desired
functionality outside of Pd.  If you really want an external, then for
most platforms you can just deploy it in the usual way, build a shared
library and add the location of the shared object to libpd's search
path.  The only exception is iOS because it doesn't allow dynamic
binary of your app instead.
Cheers,
    Peter

PS: Shameless plug: My book