[PD] [OT] Music Notation in linux

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 20:58:49 CET 2012

----- Original Message -----

I gave you a link to show what Lilypond _actually_ does.

The \articulation command just changes the input for all articulations that can be
simulated by altering the actual note values.  So for staccato, a note value is changed
to a smaller note value plus a rest, legato is changed to two voices that slightly
overlap*, and so on.  Of course this is clunky, because if you want to look at the
score and listen to the MIDI output you need to render twice-- once using the
\articulation command for the MIDI output, and another without it to get the score
looking as it normally would (though I may be missing some command that will
automate this).

Without the \articulation command, you can get basic MIDI output for things like
dynamic changes and markings, and tempo changes:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/creating-midi-files

* A former piano teacher of mine termed this technique "California legato"-- that is,
playing one note, then playing the next while lazily releasing the first note.
This was a derogatory term, meant to chide the performer for going after easy
note-to-note connections at the expense of melodic clarity.  (Similar to keeping the
pedal fully down through changes in harmony.)

-Jonathan