[PD] six sound outputs with sound blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 07:17:43 CET 2012

>> I see. so basically I could use this sound card to seach for life
>> across the universe but I cannot separate the ****** output channels.
>> great. not sure I have time to get another card on time. grrr...
>>
>> thanks!
>
> I'm sorry if I discouraged you from looking further -- I suspect the
> hardware is doing the mixing in a way that's not under software
> control, but I don't know for sure that's the case.
>
> I have a strong feeling about it, since Creative is restricting what
> the card is capable of.  I suspect it's doing it's 5.1 mixing
> operations using the DSP.
>
> It could be that some obscure driver option will bypass the DSP and
> take 6 channels from software.

I decided write the list because I also started to think that this
mixing was "hardwired" in the card.  I tested the sound blaster under
linux and windows and it does exactly the same thing in both systems.
I played around with all options in the windows sound blaster control
panel and got all kinds of weird surround effects but no way to
deactivate it.

I have a 12 euros unbranded 7.1 sound card that allows to do exactly
what I am after but this is not mine so it cannot be used for a two
months long installation. So I will visit few shops later and try to
get some cards I can test.

thanks!