[PD] [table] update notification

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 09:55:02 CET 2012

Hi all

Is there a way to be reliably notified when a table/array changes? My
hope is that I don't know of some hidden feature. Is there any?

It's easy to catch messages sent to [s arrayname]. However, it's not so
easy when data is written through [tabwrite arrayname] or [tabwrite~
arrayname] or if the data is drawn manually.

My current solution is quite a CPU hog: The whole table is scanned in
periodic intervals and compared to a reference table, so that any
difference will be caught. Of course, this solution comes with a latency
(it's a trade-off between avoiding latency and saving CPU cycles).
Probably, it could be a wee bit less CPU hungry to make the comparison
in the audio domain instead of the message domain, but still it's
work-around.

Is there a real solution for this around?

Roman