[PD] [table] update notification

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 14:37:32 CET 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 14:50 +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 14:37 +0100, batinste wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Rough approach : you could compare your array with the reference array
> > by playing once from time to time the two simultaneously, sum (the
> > first) and (the second *-1) and check with env~ that you still get
> > nothing at the output.
> >
> > my 5*10^-7 cents.
>
> Yeah, that's what I meant with comparing them in the audio domain. It'll
> probably be a bit more efficient than the message domain comparison.
> I'll have to find out. Thanks for your suggestion.

It seems, that this is the only workable way. First, I tried to scan the
array at regular rates with an [until] counter. This is problematic,
because if the array is big enough (I limited the size to a maximum of
2048) and depending on the current audio buffer size, this likely causes
drop-outs. I then tried to spread the CPU time consumed over time with
some kind of a slow [until], which doesn't fire immediately, but with
short intervals. It turns out, although it prevents drop-outs, it's even
a bigger CPU hog. Doing the comparison in the audio domain seems to be
the smartest choice for now.

Roman