[PD] some observations and questions on Pd-ext 0.43.1 beta

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Fri Mar 9 13:06:31 CET 2012

Hi folks,

yesterday I tried my Xth Sense system on a student's machine running Ubuntu
11.10 and Pd-ext 0.43.1 from the latest autobuilds.

- Strangely enough, Pd would start with real-time flag at anytime (from a
launcher of from a terminal without any flag).
We had to do $ pd-extended -nrt to get rid of the real time.
Why this happens?

- is Flatspace being removed from Pd-ext?
I couldn't find it in the extra folder. I needed it for [line3]

- The GUI has a bad responsiveness, nbx are slow, sliders and graphs are
updated every 1 second or similar. Usually it works flawlessly both on
Linux 10.04 and older and OSX.
Is this being experienced by someone else with the same system?

I would like to understand whether this depends on my software, on the
Ubuntu distro, or Pd-ext 0.43.1.
We improved Pd GUI performance by replacing Unity with Gnome Classic, but
still the GUI was quite unresponsive.

any hint is appreciated.
thanks!

--
Marco Donnarumma
New Media + Sonic Arts Practitioner, Performer, Teacher, Director.