[PD] some observations and questions on Pd-ext 0.43.1 beta

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Fri Mar 9 16:13:42 CET 2012

> >> We had to do $ pd-extended -nrt to get rid of the real time.
> >> Why this happens?
> >
> > I experience the same.
>
> Its set in the embedded preferences for Pd-extended
> (/usr/lib/pd-extended/default.pdextended) I figured that made sense for
> most users of Pd-extended, but I'm willing to reconsider if it causes
> problems.

I see. Well, imho this can cause unneeded problems.
For example, this student of mine didn't yet setup jack.conf, etc.. to get
real time priority, and therefore Pd kept complaining.
It's good that Pd complains, but we had to find out by ourselves that was
because it started with rt automatically.
And yes, it can be easy as launching Pd from the terminal, but I believe
most of Pd userbase starts Pd with a launcher.

Besides, rt without rt kernel is working better, but I don't think it's
stable enough.
And this could also be the cause of bad performance.

If ppl really wants this feature, at least Pd should clearly state at the
startup, in the console "look! I'm about to ask for real time priorities,
if you don't want it <do something>..."

> > I just checked. It seems that it is from nusmuk, but there is no nusmuk
> > library in the current autobuilds. Don't know if it was every included
> > as a library.
>
> flatspace and nusmuk both don't have maintainers in Pd-extended, and
> that's why they are not included.  Here's the list of what's included and
> who are the maintainers:
>
> http://puredata.info/docs/LibrariesInPdExtended

Oh I see, I thought Cyrille was still on Nusmuk.

> > I am on ubuntu 11.04 and do not experience this. Does this also happen
> > with only a tiny patch loaded or only when the Xth sense stuff is
> > loaded?
>

> Are you using Tcl/Tk 8.5?  Can you post the patch somewhere so I can try
> it?  I haven't seen any such slowness on Ubuntu or Mac OS X.
>
> .hc

mm, shame I didn't check that yesterday, that machine is gone now.
Anyway, the Xth Sense is already out there.
It's not ready for the public,
but you're welcome to download and try out what about this issue. It would
be appreciated! :)

Just download the Xth Sense lib, rename the unzipped folder to xthsense,
put it in pd-externals, download the XS software and launch it.
At the bottom left of the bigger window there's the Analysis module with
graph and the slider I'm talking about.
you need an audio input, or just place an [osc~] somewhere there.

https://github.com/marcodsad

thanks,

Marco Donnarumma
New Media + Sonic Arts Practitioner, Performer, Teacher, Director.
ACE, Sound Design MSc by Research (ongoing)
The University of Edinburgh, UK
Portfolio: http://marcodonnarumma.com
Research: http://res.marcodonnarumma.com | http://www.thesaddj.com |
http://www.flxer.net