[PD] Web Netiquette Re: Making Musical Apps: a book about libpd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Mar 9 19:31:51 CET 2012

>>> I meant myself, for example - and everyone who doesn't do Pd fulltime,
>>> thus cannot really afford to learn using the more complicated
>>> parts/methods. So to say, the barriers to entry shall be kept low.

>> Nearly none of the Pd professionals use Pd «fulltime».

> Yeah. The question is, do you understand the point I was trying to make
> with my less professional English? Then I'm also interested if you agree
> with it.

occupation. The definition is variable, but in my country, this is
normally assumed to mean 30 hours per week in a sustained way, especially
50 weeks per year. Even when including all the non-patching activities
that revolve around Pd or mostly-Pd projects, very few Pd professionals
put that much time in Pd. Are there any at all ?

If you don't mean that, then it's probably not a matter of your skills of
English, but rather about stating your opinion precisely enough.

But yes, I agree with what I think that you are saying. But I think that
there is a continuüm of time investment that gradually makes the learning
more worth the effort, and it begins at a tiny amount of part-time such as
just a few hours per week.