[PD] Web Netiquette Re: Making Musical Apps: a book about libpd

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 19:58:15 CET 2012

2012/3/9 Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>

>  I meant myself, for example - and everyone who doesn't do Pd fulltime,
>>>>

>  Nearly none of the Pd professionals use Pd «fulltime».
>>>

>  Yeah. The question is, do you understand the point I was trying to make
>> with my less professional English? Then I'm also interested if you agree
>> with it.

> occupation. The definition is variable, but in my country, this is normally
> assumed to mean 30 hours per week in a sustained way, especially 50 weeks
> per year. Even when including all the non-patching activities that revolve
> around Pd or mostly-Pd projects, very few Pd professionals put that much
> time in Pd. Are there any at all ?

Yea, this is what we call in our wonderfully expressive Hungarian language
"szőrszálhasogatás"
http://hunglish.hu/search?huSentence=sz%C5%91rsz%C3%A1lhasogat%C3%A1s&enSentence=&doc.genre=-10
:o)

> If you don't mean that, then it's probably not a matter of your skills of
> English, but rather about stating your opinion precisely enough.

Quite possible, really.

> But yes, I agree with what I think that you are saying. But I think that
> there is a continuüm of time investment that gradually makes the learning
> more worth the effort, and it begins at a tiny amount of part-time such as
> just a few hours per week.

I'll try to elaborate more my original point. Phenomena like Pd have kind
of "low end" (which is where that barrier of entry is), those
parts/applications which are easy to understand and to hack by beginners or
amateurs. Then they have a certain "high end", the more advanced topics
within - e.g. dynamic patching for me, or libPd according to Julian. Now,
someone can fear that the focus of developments could move towards the
"high end", leaving simple folks increasingly frustrated. I don't share,
but I think I can understand that fear, and my point was that Pd shall keep
the "low end" accessible and up-to-date. (IMO, a helpful UI is one factor,
good help system and tutorials are another, etc.)

András