[PD] tooltips in pd-extended 0.43

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 10 20:13:03 CET 2012

----- Original Message -----

There's no way that would happen either way the current transient window item
implementation.

> Note that currently, patches save the window size, and not the canvas size.
> Perhaps it is time to move to saving a fudged canvas size, that is meant to be
> compatible with existing patches but is meant to compensate for a permanent
> status bar or any other additional structure.

Well, if anyone decides to use the status bar approach I guess they would need
to take that into account.

> The transient thing is harder to take into account... it is meant to both be
> used as a statusbar, and be counted as canvas space ?...

It is a canvas item on the same canvas as objects, etc.  Mine is a window item, I'm
not sure if Ivica kept it that way but in both instances it's an item that exists on the
canvas and gets deleted when the tip goes away.

> I don't know, I think that canvas space is somewhat more touchy to manage in
> pd than in firefox, and I would think that it's not that much about
> full-width... the full-height seems at least as important... and the fact that
> pd patches always state their own size, while web pages rarely do... and pd
> patches more often rely on it... and it's often because they have no real
> means to do otherwise.

I have no idea what this means.  Try out the tooltips and see how they interact with
the canvas.  I am in no way resizing the canvas nor the window.

-Jonathan