[PD] Editing CSS style, make pd.info better? [WAS: puredata.info site design provocation]

Nicolas Montgermont nicolas_montgermont at yahoo.fr
Sun Mar 11 11:42:31 CET 2012

Hello marco and all,

maybe that discussion should go on the pdweb list, no ? otherwise i
don't know what it is made for...
comments in the mail

Le 11/03/12 00:53, András Murányi a écrit :

> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 15:07, Marco Donnarumma <devel at thesaddj.com
> <mailto:devel at thesaddj.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello folks,
>
>     I've been playing around with the CSS styles again.
>     This time I implemented a similar style of the exhibition page to
>     the homepage at puredata.info <http://puredata.info>.
>     I also decreased the global page width, and set it and its
>     position in percentage, which makes it fluid across different
>     browsers and platforms.
>     Increased the font-size too.
>
>     I don't really like how Plone displays News and Recent Changes
>     (table, odd and even).
>     But this is something we could take care later on (if other ppl is
>     bothered as me).
>
>     NOTE: I think better and bigger images would greatly enhance the
>     look of the page.
>
>     See the attached screenshot.
>     First is the style of the other time, the second is a similar
>     style but without dotted background.
>     I rather the dotted one.
>
>     This time I copied all the modification in css sheet,
>     __which means that if ppl likes this stuff, I can change the real
>     CSS and put it on-line__
>     I could do that between today and tomorrow.
>
>     let me know your thoughts,
>     and if you have suggestion for the style.
>     Didn't add the much requested Download button because it has to be
>     done outside of the CSS.
>
>     cheers,
>     Marco
>

> Bravo Marco, a great improvement over the current state! Great dots :)
> Some minor comments/ideas:
> - could you post a screenshot of the footer?
is it possible as well to see a screenshot of some wiki page? or better
to post the css code here as we can apply it locally and browse everywhere.
> - what do you think about making News and Recent Changes more similar
> to the menu by adding an internal padding to the whole containing
> element, and at the same time, decreasing the padding/margin of the
> individual items?
> A few humble ideas about the main page:
> - the link to the Belorussian translation looks a bit orphaned, but I
> don't know where else it could go
i agree, maybe it should move in the documentation section.
> - seeing the same "old" screenshots on the opening page is a waste of
> prime time space IMHO, because once you took a look at them you won't
> use that part of the website anymore
> - what do you people think about moving the current content of the
> main page to a menu item like "What is Pd?" and filling the  page with
> more dynamic content? eventually, to fill with leads of News and
> Recent Changes items, which could even eliminate the need of those
> blocks (News is already on main page only, Recent Changes appear on
> some sub pages but not on each).
That is a very good point ( even if it's not css...), there is no point
of having these blocks on every page. We can imagine a news listing and
a recent changes listing inside the div content, and make a "about pd"
section. ( like http://www.blender.org/ )
> - if the main page ever gets populated with News et al, it would be
> nice to have a cover picture however. Eventually rotating cover
> pictures, possibly linked. Maybe a crazy idea, but wouldn't it make
> sense to have a carousel-like thing showing up items from the
> Exhibition on the main page?
this is very easy with vimeo, but the problem of the" vimeo video group"
is that it is not based on the same curation limit as for the exhibition
section, people can add their own videos.

> - all i currently see when clicking Community is "check out
> DevelopmentWiki". Is this a temporary or very necessary state here?
when you click "development" you mean? This can be normally easily
changed but if Iohannes has done that there must be a reason.

other comments:
- I think it should be nice to have a large picture header, maybe
something like max has done for vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/groups/puredata
it will "keep together" the whole page.
- I find the main content div not large enough
- i find the navigation menu too padded, specially on the left

tanks for your work,
best,

http://nim.on.free.fr