[PD] Pd-list Digest, Vol 84, Issue 77

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Sun Mar 11 12:13:00 CET 2012

Folks, I think I'm going to put this online since the feedback have been
mostly positive.
Stop me now, or let me go!

anyway, nothing is irreversible, actually Plone says it's very easy to
revert changes, etc...
I'm going for it.

@Andras: see my comments below...

> - could you post a screenshot of the footer?

Attached.
For the footer I tried to get rid of the colophones which are really 80s (I
love 80s),
and just left the textual credit.
That's the best way I see it, and hopefully does not take away the
relevance of IEM.
However, I don't want to take decision, ppl let me know what you rather.
I would rather adding an IEM logo, but I just can't help with the colophons
thing.

- what do you think about making News and Recent Changes more similar to
> the menu by adding an internal padding to the whole containing element, and
> at the same time, decreasing the padding/margin of the individual items?

Yes, that could be good, but if you notice the linkable text of News and
Changes can be much longer than the menu items.
Therefore, we might have two or three lines of text in that sidebar, and
that would not be controllable,
and possibly look bad.
I can try that and see how it goes.

A few humble ideas about the main page:
> - the link to the Belorussian translation looks a bit orphaned, but I don't
> know where else it could go

agree

> - seeing the same "old" screenshots on the opening page is a waste of prime
> time space IMHO, because once you took a look at them you won't use that
> part of the website anymore

Agree, I think what Andy said is also crucial.
We can't have a Pd patch screenshot which can't be read on the community
homepage.
It's a bit embarassing. Specially when you show it to your student,
bothering them about the patching guidelines.

> - what do you people think about moving the current content of the main
> page to a menu item like "What is Pd?" and filling the  page with more
> dynamic content? eventually, to fill with leads of News and Recent Changes
> items, which could even eliminate the need of those blocks (News is already
> on main page only, Recent Changes appear on some sub pages but not on
> each).

Then we would have What is Pd and Exhibition.
Yes, they are not the same conceptually, but it risk to be confusing imho.
I think we should first try to make the home simply more attractive, and
try to deploy better the pages are already there.
Then, if we realize those pages aren't enough, we can start thinking about
new things.
But I think the potential of the present structure and its contents are
truly overlooked.

- if the main page ever gets populated with News et al, it would be nice to
> have a cover picture however. Eventually rotating cover pictures, possibly
> linked. Maybe a crazy idea, but wouldn't it make sense to have a
> carousel-like thing showing up items from the Exhibition on the main page?

This is a good idea, was wondering whether we could implement some
connection with the Pure Data Vimeo channel.
So we would also more clearly relate to Pd social world. And perhaps, more
ppl will become aware Pd has a social world outside of forums and list.

- all i currently see when clicking Community is "check out
> DevelopmentWiki". Is this a temporary or very necessary state here?
>
> mm, I see the proper community page, which Nicolas just restructured.
Maybe you get there from another link?

--
Marco Donnarumma
New Media + Sonic Arts Practitioner, Performer, Teacher, Director.