[PD] Editing CSS style, make pd.info better? [WAS: puredata.info site design provocation]

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Sun Mar 11 12:37:33 CET 2012

> is it possible as well to see a screenshot of some wiki page? or better

to post the css code here as we can apply it locally and browse everywhere.

attached.
But it includes only the classes I modified, i.e. it's not the full css
style.
and it might not be hyperprecise.

> > - the link to the Belorussian translation looks a bit orphaned, but I
> > don't know where else it could go
> i agree, maybe it should move in the documentation section.

yep, let's do that.

> > [snip] blocks (News is already on main page only, Recent Changes appear
> on
> > some sub pages but not on each).
> That is a very good point ( even if it's not css...), there is no point
> of having these blocks on every page. We can imagine a news listing and
> a recent changes listing inside the div content, and make a "about pd"
> section. ( like http://www.blender.org/ )

definitely.

> - if the main page ever gets populated with News et al, it would be
> > nice to have a cover picture however. Eventually rotating cover
> > pictures, possibly linked. Maybe a crazy idea, but wouldn't it make
> > sense to have a carousel-like thing showing up items from the
> > Exhibition on the main page?
> this is very easy with vimeo, but the problem of the" vimeo video group"
> is that it is not based on the same curation limit as for the exhibition
> section, people can add their own videos.

agree, see my previous message. I think it's ok to have the vimeo channel
and the exhibition page.
Anyway, almost nobody post things to the exhibition page, so we should find
a way to make it more interesting to post there.

> > - all i currently see when clicking Community is "check out
> > DevelopmentWiki". Is this a temporary or very necessary state here?
> when you click "development" you mean? This can be normally easily
> changed but if Iohannes has done that there must be a reason.
>
> other comments:
> - I think it should be nice to have a large picture header, maybe
> something like max has done for vimeo:
> https://vimeo.com/groups/puredata
> it will "keep together" the whole page.

sure, but cannot do it from the css.
So I'm waiting to get the css done first.

> - I find the main content div not large enough

Ok, I tried to find a balance, actually I'm afraid this is already to wide
for a mobile browser.
Can someone apply the css class of the body and see what happens on a
mobile?

- i find the navigation menu too padded, specially on the left

Can do less padding,
I just like wide spacey things... :)
what other ppl think?

> tanks for your work,

we all really deserve a better looking portal.

--
Marco Donnarumma
New Media + Sonic Arts Practitioner, Performer, Teacher, Director.