[PD] list etiquette

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 11 18:06:18 CET 2012

----- Original Message -----

Didactic cursing doesn't violate the norm.  But cursing (without provocation) at
a new user who is asking for technical advice about Pd would violate the norm.
If you do that you will get a very different response than you have here.

> Pd expands boundaries of what is music and art.  Why expect any
> boundaries on the list?  The same norm you're expecting might not be
> shared by other people who use the list too.

Expanding boundaries implies boundaries.

> I don't care for some things said on the list, but all you can really
> do is try to convince other people to see things your way.  People
> just use etiquette on the list because they want to.

That's exactly how norms become widely accepted!

In the parent thread someone's entire argument was undermined by
their use of etiquette, so I don't think everybody is using it just because
they want etiquette.

-Jonathan