[PD] Editing CSS style, make pd.info better? [WAS: puredata.info site design provocation]

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 00:42:11 CET 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 12:37, Marco Donnarumma <devel at thesaddj.com> wrote:

> [...]
>

>> - if the main page ever gets populated with News et al, it would be
>> > nice to have a cover picture however. Eventually rotating cover
>> > pictures, possibly linked. Maybe a crazy idea, but wouldn't it make
>> > sense to have a carousel-like thing showing up items from the
>> > Exhibition on the main page?
>> this is very easy with vimeo, but the problem of the" vimeo video group"
>> is that it is not based on the same curation limit as for the exhibition
>> section, people can add their own videos.
>>

> agree, see my previous message. I think it's ok to have the vimeo channel
> and the exhibition page.
> Anyway, almost nobody post things to the exhibition page, so we should
> find a way to make it more interesting to post there.
>

>> > - all i currently see when clicking Community is "check out
>> > DevelopmentWiki". Is this a temporary or very necessary state here?
>> when you click "development" you mean? This can be normally easily
>> changed but if Iohannes has done that there must be a reason.
>>
>> other comments:
>> - I think it should be nice to have a large picture header, maybe
>> something like max has done for vimeo:
>> https://vimeo.com/groups/puredata
>> it will "keep together" the whole page.
>>

> sure, but cannot do it from the css.
> So I'm waiting to get the css done first.

I agree with your previous comments/decisions Marco.

About the main page: a large picture picture header is what we are
seemingly all talking about. The question is it's content. I reckon it
shall not be static, but something that dynamically changes over time. My
vision is to have that kind of carousel [1] which would rotate content.
Now, the content could be from Vimeo, but I agree it's risky because it's
beyond our control. The Exhibition, on the other hand, seems just right,
because a carousel doesn't have to have so many elements anyway.
Of course it's more than CSS. When it's decided and you think it's time, I
can help with putting it together.

[1] some carousel examples:
http://www.smileycat.com/design_elements/carousels/

>> - I find the main content div not large enough
>>

> Ok, I tried to find a balance, actually I'm afraid this is already to wide
> for a mobile browser.
> Can someone apply the css class of the body and see what happens on a
> mobile?

I just checked with an iphone emulator (ibbdemo) and i don't even see the
new design. No idea why.

> - i find the navigation menu too padded, specially on the left
>>

> Can do less padding,
> I just like wide spacey things... :)
> what other ppl think?

On a large screen it looks fine to me.

a new observation: visited links have their own color (i guess they shall
not) which seems to be dark grey at some parts of the page and some pages,
and purple on some other pages

>> tanks for your work,
>>

> we all really deserve a better looking portal.

Thanks!

András