[PD] tooltips in pd-extended 0.43

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Mon Mar 12 19:55:55 CET 2012

On Mar 12, 2012, at 13:00, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> Le 2012-03-06 à 21:04:00, Ivica Ico Bukvic a écrit :
>
>> I agree, except I don't want to push this notion to the point where unpredictable nature of tcl/tk's canvas implementation entirely hampers or limits tool's productivity and provides a half-baked feature.
>
> I found Tk to be quite predictable...
>
>> E.g. it's impossible to highlight nlets or show tooltips when trying to patch a cord because tcl/tk's canvas keeps "current" tag on the object that was last clicked on,
>
> ... but then I never tried using a tag named "current". Here's a relevant piece of DesireData :

Both of my comments refer to the implementation that is currently in Pd-ext vs. what I have come up with.

Also, what you're suggesting is essentially doubling the work that is already done inside C (again, assuming that one simply applies what you are proposing to the existing C code). C code already has getrect function that takes care of things like fuzzy logic, particularly when trying to connect a cord to an inlet where code already selects nearest inlet (at least it does in pd-l2ork).

I do understand that moving this into tcl/tk domain is ultimately a good thing as it strives toward separation of the GUI from the engine. However, since I am particularly interested in making sure that even interim solutions are as robust and as possible, I decided to alter the system to rely on the C implementation as that has proven to be a more robust (or perhaps I should say more complete and less redundant) approach than the original version.

In addition, and I think I may have already pointed this out earlier, FWIW I am also not convinced that having one system serve both headless runtime mode and network-based GUI editor is a good thing, particularly now that we have libpd. I am much more interested in having direct GUI implementation plus a separate (and if need be GUI-less) runtime client, as dealing with networked GUI has been a huge overhead for the pd-dev community both in terms of implementing new features as well as fixing existing bugs. If one agrees with this approach, then spending time on migrating things into tcl/tk domain may not be the time best spent...