[PD] vline~ precision, or sequentially segmented playback of a buffer

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 13 20:01:21 CET 2012

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:32:44AM -0400, William Brent wrote:
>> I'm also wondering about the timing of tabread4~'s offset inlet being
>> updated.  I get fewer clicks by tossing most of the patch into a
>> subpatch with [block~ 1].  I haven't checked really carefully, but
>> that does seem to make it so that clicks only occur where there are
>> gaps in the log.txt file.
>
> This also is the reason for the 181 msec clicks I get. Replacing the
> whole
> [list-sub] construction with a simple [$1, $2 $3( between [textfile] and
> [vline~] gives a nice and clean sound, except at the turnaround points
> where
> clicks are expected anyway.
>
> The offset-index of [tabread4~] is a message inlet that is not timing
> accurate,
> [tabread4~] will use the value from here at a different time than
> [vline~] uses
> its own copy of the value, leading to clicks.

Very strange. In the computer I am now, I do hear the regular clicks, but
I didn't heard them before.

The offset of [tabread4~] was there to avoid any reading errors when the
index points get too high (the whole sample is almost 7m long). So there's
not option for this, but to use only the right entry?

I was watching the recorded result of the test patch, and the clicks in
the direction change happen, even though the recorded wave is simmetrical.
I though that the result would be a continous wave with no clicks, but
where did I go wrong? I guess the corner in the wave, even being
symmetrical, always produces a click, right?

João