[PD] NetPd status

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 13:11:23 CET 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 10:59 +0100, Quim Llimona wrote:
> Great!
>

> I'll try it out, and if you want I can help with abstractions (I
> already have som GUI stuff done with raw OSC) and so. We need, on the
> network side, mostly message passing between clients and server (we
> usually have a local "server", that outputs all the audio), chat and
> some kind of ready-to-use templates.

OK, I think I understand your intended setup. I would run your audio
generating node and all the controller nodes as netpd-clients. You could
run a local instance of a netpd server which every of your node
(including your 'server') would connect to. Then they'd be able to
communicate with each other. You could configure all your controller
nodes to send their messages only to your audio generating node.

Check the protocol specification [1] to get an idea about how
communication between nodes works.

You can download the netpd-server from here:
https://github.com/reduzent/netpd-server2

Just run netpd-server2.pd in its own Pd instance (or Pd-extended, for
that matter) and ignore all the python stuff (it's not up-to-date
anyway).

The simplest way to establish a connection between a node and the
netpd-server is to run chat.pd. You may want to adjust the IP address of
your local netpd-server in the appropriate field in chat.pd's preference
dialog. You can open that dialog by hitting the 'pref' button.

I a new patch, you may want to put:

[r NETPD]

[print NETPD]

This will print the communication between the node and the server and
probably helps you get an idea of how everything works.

Roman

[1] http://www.netpd.org/Protocol