[PD] porting a Pd patch to Max license issues

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Wed Mar 14 13:48:30 CET 2012

hey folks,

I'm not going to port anything to Max, but someone expressed interest in
porting the Xth Sense in Max.

Now, apart from my personal view about this, which is a diplomatic "I'd
rather not, thanks. Port the patch you need to Pd instead".

what are the license issues here?
The XS framework in Pd will be GPL.
Can a Max software be GPL? What about copyleft then?

I found this but it's not clear. and I thought there could not be GPL
software written in Max because the interpreter is closed-source.
http://www.cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=1139

and this is nothing new but good and clear resource:
http://www.blogherald.com/2009/07/07/the-basics-of-the-gpl/

thoughts, previous cases?

thanks,

--
Marco Donnarumma
New Media + Sonic Arts Practitioner, Performer, Teacher, Director.