[PD] nonlocal naming scheme

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 20:51:06 CET 2012

Hello,
     I had another thread where I used my canvas "get" method to hide $0 in s/r pairs in an abstraction

and make it possible to more easily specify the scope of a variable using two abstractions named [to] and [from].

Now I'm extending that concept to nonlocal signal objects: s~/r~ and throw~/catch~.  After looking

through the list I've realized that some of the confusion about these objects occurs because the

names are completely arbitrary and don't reflect the one-to-many/many-to-one division between them.*

(Side question: are there any many-to-many nonlocal signal externals?  If so how does the cpu usage

compare to throw~/catch~?)

So here are the names for my abstraction wrappers:

send~/receive~ = copy~/paste~

Thus with [copy~ foo] you are taking the incoming signal and copying it to whatever is at the

receive-symbol $0-foo, which would be a [paste~ foo] object.  The one-to-many connection is that

one can copy only one thing at a time (or on systems where you have multiple copy buffers they

each have a different key combination or icon on the interface, similar to the way we give a different

receive-symbol for each s~ in Pd), but you can paste it as many times as you wish.

throw~/catch~ = tobus~/frombus~

I think this one is self-explanatory.  However, I'm not sure if "bus" really implies many-to-one (as

opposed to many-to-many).  Maybe there is a better metaphor.

Would love to hear if anyone has suggestions on these names.

Thanks,
Jonathan

* actually I think it's worse than that, because if you see that the control objects s/r are many-to-many,

you could reasonably assume that s~/r~ would be many-to-many as well.