[PD] iem_bin_ambi confusion

Iain Mott mott at reverberant.com
Thu Mar 15 23:29:48 CET 2012

Hi List,

I may be completely confused about this - but does "iem_bin_ambi"
decode ambisonic-encoded material as a binaural signal? If so, does
anyone have any example of its use beyond the help files available in
Pd? I'm not able to work out how to use it.

I have an ambisonic project in which i'm using "cart2del_damp_2d" to to
simulate the early reflections of moving sources relative to a virtual
listener in a virtual room - and "ambi_encode" to do 2nd order encoding
of the scene. The scene is ultimately decoded by ambdec for a 2D
speaker array via jack.

Can iem_bin_ambi be used to produce a binaural mix of this - or am i
right off track? Other suggestions?

I've been playing around with cw_binaural~ as an alternative technique
(sending it angle values from a GUI and "cart2del_damp_2d" and damping
the signal with distance)  - sounds great but I can only spatialise the
direct signal and the 1st set of early reflections from
cart2del_damp_2d (using another 4 instances of cw_binaural~) before the
computer starts to pack it in. I'm hoping that iem_bin_ambi might be
more efficient.

Cheers,

Iain

--