[PD] Kinect mappings

Matthias Kronlachner m.kronlachner at student.TUGraz.at
Mon Mar 19 07:20:02 CET 2012

hi!

if you have installed latest unstables of openni and nite it should
start tracking of a new user almost immediately without the need of a
calibration pose.
what takes long time (at least on my machine) is the initialization
process. (when you start gemwin)
for me pix_openni works much better and stable on linux.

if you have gem framerate at 30fps you get 15x30 joints with x,y,z
coordinates per second.
it's really not an easy task to extract useful information out of it.
i lately added the skeleton smoothing feature, that can be very
helpful to smoothen the output. (skeleton_smoothing 0.0-1.0)

what you need is a set of abstractions to make geometric calculations
from the datastream, the ability to monitor/draw graphs and the
"interpretation" of this data/gesture detection. iemmatrix can be
practical for the vector calculations and to make the patches more
readable.
i'm working in the moment on such abstractions but still a work in progress.

anyway i'm curious how the kinect for windows sdk is working.
with the built in speech recognition and source localization over the
microphone array it has some advantages over openni/nite.
but for me the platform dependency is a no-go. so i won't work on an
external with this framework in the future.
maybe someone else? :-)

matthias