[PD] [PD-dev] Filter design for iPhone

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 01:39:28 CET 2012

mvcf~ - Well, it breaks when the Q is high and freq is moderately high, or at high freq and Q, but it seems to be that the higher you get with either frequency or Q it has a greater probability of breaking (all  dac~ outputs at 1 (or possibly 1e+07), no more audio can be played by the patch.

What I mean is that with the noise~ object as the input, the filter breaks after about 1-3 seconds when Q=0.70-0.8, f=0.7-0.8, and there are variations on this depending on the settings. Something is profoundly un-robust about this filter, but it's cpu load is very low. I want to have a stable version for not much more CPU.

I will look at the RJDJ filters mentioned also. I would like not to have to worry about filters when programming libpd audio engines. It would be nice to get a really efficient IIR with a musical response that uses low CPU into the core - I am not an expert at using poles and zeroes however (but I'm working on my higher math often these days, with the Khan academy :) Some of this is subjective, perhaps the "musical" nature of filters, but certain types of filter are assumed by many (musicians, DJs etc) in this part of the world to be normally available. The 24dB lowpass resonant filter a la Moog is one of them, and a fundamental analogue processor as well. I understand the analogue better than the discrete, so I'm anxious to know what limit is reached in the coefficients of the filter that causes the undefined result (NaN).

But I'll try the other rjlib filters first!
Ed

Gemnotes-0.1alpha: Live music notation for Pure Data
http://sharktracks.co.uk/