[PD] auto-adding MIDI devices

kristof lauwers pd at kristoflauwers.domainepublic.net
Fri Mar 23 14:29:18 CET 2012

Hi,

If you are going to make changes to the midi device setup, i have two
other suggestions:

- in the midi settings dialog (on windows),  you can only select two
midi output devices. the only way i found to use more then 2 devices
is by adding them manually in the registry. it would be nice if you
could add at least 4 devices from the dialog..

- would it be possible to save the setup by device names rather than
by enumeration? if you don't use a fixed setup all the time, the
enumeration on windows changes quite randomly.. i had problems before
when  windows changed the order of my internal soundcard and my motu
and Pd tried to start the internal card with asio, which it doesn't
support, which caused pd to crash at startup..

as for your idea to automatically open a midi devices, guess it can
be useful for people who have only one device, but as son as you
connect an external midi device, most of the time you have also an
internal midi playback on the soundcard and you don't know which one
is first in windows' enumeration..

all the best,

Kristof

info at kristoflauwers.domainepublic.net