[PD] [PD-announce] Pd 0.43-2 released (windows startup bug fix)

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 25 21:14:50 CEST 2012

----- Original Message -----

I'm afraid whatever message type you come up with for data structures will be
severely limited unless you solve the problem of locality wrt data structures.
Currently, one can choose either a) a modular approach with [struct $0-name]
which can be used inside abstractions, or b) state-savable [struct name] which
is global and thus requires part of the user's brain power to remember _not_
to load more than one instance of the patch that contains the template.

One approach is to make a public API for the process you're already using for
the "Put" menu array and [table] objects.  Users don't have to care (or even
be aware of) the loading of the templates for _float and _float_array which is
a good thing.  There should be a way to make your own library using only Pd
patches, and have pd look for libname_setup.pd (or some such naming
scheme) in the path when I do [declare -lib libname], and if it exists load it
un-vis'd.  That would allow a safe way for a library to use data structures
without $0-, and be able save/recall state.  Plus allow all kinds of other things,
like a library of abstractions which all rely on a table to read-- the table can
be in libname_setup.pd, and the user can create/destroy abstractions from
that library while the common table stays safe in the unvis'd setup patch.

Of course there's still the problem of name clashes since [struct libname] is a
global variable and [table lib-whatever-table] is a global table, but a unique
libname shouldn't be too hard.

-Jonathan