[PD] auto-adding MIDI devices

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Mar 26 17:39:18 CEST 2012

On Mar 26, 2012, at 11:02 AM, Martin Peach wrote:

> On 2012-03-26 10:09, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> why 4?
>>> (and not, say, 37?)

>>> i'm also rather sceptical about auto-connection, esp. when based on
>>> numerical IDs.
>>> e.g. i don't see a big advantage to autoconnect to a MIDI-thru device,
>>> that will loopback all the data i just sent.
>>
>> I think that having something setup by default is more helpful than nothing, as long as it doesn't cause problems.  Then for people who want to have it setup differently, they can do what they've always done.
>>

> What if I'm also using jack's patchbay to set up a default connection? Is it possible to have Pd set up a default connection only if no connection already exists?

The logic I'm thinking is pretty straightforward: if there are no MIDI settings in the preferences, then automatically assign the ones it finds.  The one thing this would prevent is having the user have MIDI on but force no assigned devices.  That seems like a worthwhile trade-off for having newbies be able to use MIDI without doing anything but send MIDI data to a MIDI object.