[PD] connecting Pd to LEDs

Pierre-Olivier Boulant po.boulant at free.fr
Tue Mar 27 09:41:12 CEST 2012

Hi,

You can make a USB to DMX interface really easily with an Arduino. Then
you'll have to make a protocol that encodes the data in Pd and that is
decoded on the Arduino side and then sent via DMX. It really depends on
what you need. It's not that complicated once you've decided on the
limits of your system.
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/DMX
You will need the DmxSimple library to send the DMX from the Arduino.

You can also make your own dimmers as the email below describes. I have
made some with a transitor between the arduino and the strips of LEDs.
You need a transistor that reacts to 5V and can handle rather large
intensities.
I used this one: IRFZ34N (spec sheet attached).
If you need more you will need to have chips (I2C to PWM) but at the
cost of faster/higher number of steps (like 16 instead of 256)... I'm
thinking of a chip like this one: Max7313.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Pierre-Olivier

--