[PD] [pd] tables as patch storage

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Mar 27 17:21:15 CEST 2012

Le 2012-03-27 à 08:04:00, Jonathan Wilkes a écrit :

> Anythings aren't really free-form, either.  "float my boat" isn't a valid message in
> Pd.

I mean as free-form as storable Anythings can be. I not talking about
atoms that are not storable, nor about non-atoms, pink elephants and
winged pigs.

> But even if you're reading a Pd file with [textfile]-- which as far as I
> know doesn't ever start with the word "float"--

selector float can always be implied, so it needs not be written. This is
because of what binbuf_eval does.

>> (Of course, there are externals, but they're not the kind of thing used by
>> the kind of people who come up with list-abs.)
>
> I don't know what that means.  What does that mean?

list-abs was designed to only use pd's builtins, no externs, which makes
it more like academic exercises of proving that anything can be done with
a Turing tape machine, rather than being designed in a pragmatic way.
There's not enough basic functionality in the language, to be able to make
abstractions that are both simple enough and fast enough.