[PD] [pd] tables as patch storage

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 20:30:58 CEST 2012

----- Original Message -----

Right but you can't help it being written in a Pd file, and thus the tools Pd
vanilla gives you to read/write/parse a textfile-- the [textfile] object and
[route]-- cannot even be used to parse the software's own file format.  You
have to either use list-abs [sroute] or build your own workaround to avoid
the "bad argument" error with impunity.

>>>  (Of course, there are externals, but they're not the kind of thing
> used by the kind of people who come up with list-abs.)
>>
>>  I don't know what that means.  What does that mean?
>
> list-abs was designed to only use pd's builtins, no externs, which makes it
> more like academic exercises of proving that anything can be done with a Turing
> tape machine, rather than being designed in a pragmatic way. There's not
> enough basic functionality in the language, to be able to make abstractions that
> are both simple enough and fast enough.

Well, yes, that's obviously true just by the fact that there isn't a (sensible) way to get
an abstraction's arguments using the core objects.

Question is: what needs to be added to make abstraction use simpler and faster?  I
found that the "get" method I added to canvas opened a lot of doors, even providing a
quick way to get better locality in Pd (and the coding only took about 30 mins for
that).  I'm sure there's a lot more that I'm missing, though.

-Jonathan