[PD] list-abs and externals [was: Re: [pd] tables as patch storage]

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 21:19:50 CEST 2012

----- Original Message -----

But it's not significant enough to hold up as a virtue of your approach.  The user
benefits from your approach because they can have your consistent interface in
all their patches, and if they run into a place where the poor performance of the
abstraction becomes a problem, they can replace the guts with an external--
whether it's one already available in someone else's library or one they write
themselves.

Another model is to use your library for a consistent patching interface, and when
the user runs into a performance issue, he/she can decide whether a solution that
replaces part of the abstraction with a compiled object class is a) idiosyncratic to
their particular use case and belongs in an external library or b) generally useful and
belongs in the set of classes that are common to _every_ pd implementation.*

I can tell you after going through the bulk of externals out there and documenting them
that lots of Pd developers are creating generally useful list manipulation classes.  An
internal class that does [list-drip], for example, is necessary for just about any fast,
expressive list processing in Pd vanilla.  But it's not there after a very long time, and
the evidence on the patch tracker is that it's a waste of time for devs to even add new
functionality there, so that's why I say that part of the dev model is broken.

-Jonathan

* there's also c) writing a ridiculously complicated hack to get a big performance boost,
like the current [list-drip], but for obvious reasons this shouldn't be the dominant model.