[PD] GEM UI

Martin Eckart imartron at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 17:03:32 CEST 2012

Hi all, I need help conceptualizing the best solution to my problem.

I've created a Gem application in which I use the 'view' message to pan
the camera around the space.  Now I want to create a user interface that
is fixed to the frame of the screen.

I've succeeded already but my current solution is clunky (I created an
'offset' abstraction that calculates the proper offset for each UI
element whenever the camera is panned) and is conceptually convoluted.
I think it's more complicated than it needs to be.

Is there a way to define a frame or object group for Gem objects?
Something where I could just use a single transformXYZ for the group
offset from the camera position and then work with each sub-object as if
it were fixed to the screen?  How might you fix UI elements to screen
borders while moving the camera through the application space?

Thanks,
-martin