[PD] why does PD round numbers? (in tables, in messageboxes, etc)

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 15:40:47 CEST 2012

2012/4/9 IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>:
> On 04/09/12 12:39, katja wrote:
>>

>> Doing it better would require a lot of modifications, more than
>> changing some format specifiers. It's a pity we can't see MaxMsp's
>> code, the issues seem to be neatly solved there, like:
>>

> i haven't looked at the actual behaviour, but max has a (default) binary
> forma, where it can store numbers without precision loss.
>
> this is of course way easier to implement than trying to save numbers at a
> "reasonable2 precision in a textfile.

At least they did implement detailed rules for representation of
numbers as text in boxes. A set of number/text conversion rules for
storage may not in itself be more complicated. But you'd need two
conversion methods, one for representation and one for storage, both
fairly detailed.

I would expect that Mathieu Bouchard could have proposed improvements
in this field. I had a quick look into desiredata, but can't find
files m_atom.c, g_numbox.c etc. Seems it all went into a big blob
desiredata.c.

Katja