[PD] why does PD round numbers? (in tables, in messageboxes, etc)

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 10:33:48 CEST 2012

2012/4/9 IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>:

>> A non-decimal ASCII format instead, would make
>> existing patches unreadable.
>

> right; i think this is also the reason why Pd doesn't do any binary
> storage/transmission: it makes debugging so easy if you can actually
> understand what is going on without an assembler book besides the keyboard.

I mean to say that switching to any format other than decimal ASCII
would make it impossible for Pd to interpret patch files using the
current format.

> the major drawback i see right now is, that raising the number of bytes used
> to transmit a single number will make table updates even more costy than
> they already are.

Large tables are mostly stored in an audio format, rather than text.
But indeed, saving and loading large tables as text is already
time-consuming with the current format. Text is also used by the [pd]
object to transmit numbers / signals. And how about sending over UDP
or TCP?

Katja