[PD] That old -nogui/nosound problem on Linux ...

Chrissie Caulfield progchick at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 23:01:07 CEST 2012

On 11/04/2012 08:09, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:
> On 10/04/12 16:11, Chrissie Caulfield wrote:
>> I don't know why polygate~ does show the
>> problem where hip~ and friends don't but I'm hoping it's a clue!
>>
>> So, does anyone have any (even vague) ideas of where to start before I
>> start randomly digging?
>
> Vague guess, might be wrong:
>
> I think the bug is that pd -nogui loads (and possibly also loadbangs)
> the patches specified on the commandline before it initialises the
> samplerate~ and block~ settings.

Thanks. That does seem to be what's happening. I've put traces in
polygate~ and a few others and the rate is zero even when specified on
the command line. It does seem that the rate is set after the patches
are loaded and initialised, which is where a lot of external patches get
their rate from

I've written a very simple source code patch (which I'll post if
anyone's interested) that is more of a hack than a fix but it works for
the moment if you specify -r <rate> on the commandline - it certainly
rescued my project in the short term! I'm going to keep investigating
though because I think it could do with a proper fix :-)

Chrissie