[PD] Help with Jack and PD

Rishabh Natarajan rishabh.natarajan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 15:49:46 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am trying to route audio through pd using Jack on my Mac OSX (Snow
Leopard). I start JackPilot, and then I start pd-extended from command line
with the flags -jack and -channels 16. Then I open up the patch and then I
open up Spotify and iTunes. The patch is supposed to switch between Spotify
and iTunes play back depending on which input adc~ I choose and accordingly
give me control over the output levels using the sliders in the patch (the
patch is a virtual mixer). I have a few questions:

1. When starting pd with jack and 16 channels, does this mean that all 16
channels have to go in and out of Jack itself?
2. Do the number of input and output channels have to be the same (8 and 8
in this case) or can they be different? When I tried starting pd with 18
channels and then assigned 16 to Jack incoming and 2 to built-in output for
outgoing, terminal threw an error saying 'invalid number of channels'
3. I want to have 8 channels from one adc~ and another 8 from the other.
This means all 16 channels are meant for input. How then do I route output
from pd to the speakers?
4. If I am only inputting 16 channels through Jack can I use the dac~
object to output sound from pd to the speakers?

I am quite confused here being a novice in pd and need to get some results
very very quickly. I have used this patch before to route sound and it
worked fine. I don't know why it's not doing that before. I enable audio in
the Media window and selected jack instead of portaudio, still no sound or
terminal errors :'( .

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks,
Rishabh