[PD] (OT) safely connect piezo transducer to soundcard as microphone

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 00:42:42 CEST 2012

Hi,

A piezo transducer often produces a signal level somewhere inbetween
mic level and line level (it depends on size, and method of
excitation). Indeed it can be too loud when mic input is used.

Another point of concern is impedance, which influences the sound
character. If you mount a resistor (in series), the signal level is
reduced but the sound is altered as well. Mounting a capacitor (in
parallel or series) also works to reduce signal level and alter the
sound. Combinations of these (RC networks, effectively) are a great
way to tune the sound character to your liking, but it takes a lot of
experimentation. Also, the result may be different for each (mic)
preamp because input impedance is not fully standardized.

Katja