[PD] Help with Jack and PD

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Apr 21 15:34:32 CEST 2012

On 2012-04-21 01:16, Michal Seta wrote:

>     When I tried starting pd with 18 channels and then assigned 16 to
>     Jack incoming and 2 to built-in output for outgoing, terminal threw
>     an error saying 'invalid number of channels'
>

> I am not sure on this one but I think that if Pd does not find as many
> physical (or jack) inputs or outputs it will warn you. When you do
> provide enough IO you can reconfigure Pd for the new values and it
> should work (if you cross your fingers).

you don't do it like this.
when using jack, you should only be using jack (while Pd can use
"multiple devices", this is really means "mutliple devices on _one_
audio backend, not multiple backends simultaneously; jack is one
backend; portaudio another backend; furthermore, i don't think multiple
outputs work on anything but linux/alsa)

having said all that, i don't really understand your question.
use jack as Pd's sole audio interface, and then use jack-pilot or
qJackCtrl to route 2 outputs of Pd to your soundcard and the others to
wherever.
there is no need to complicate things by doing the routing in jack, Pd,
audioox and whatnot, when jack can handle everything just fine.

>     3. I want to have 8 channels from one adc~ and another 8 from the
>     other. This means all 16 channels are meant for input. How then do I
>     route output from pd to the speakers?

what's the audio output of Pd todo with the audio input of Pd?

it would be good if you could sketch what you really want to do, rather
than how to attempt to solve it.

afaics it is something like:
- - you want to have the output of iTunes (8 chnannels) and Spotify
(another 8 channels) go into Pd, let Pd do some processing on that and
send the output of Pd to the stereo output of your computer.
SO
- - startup jack
- - startup Pd with "-jack -channels 16"
- - connect the 1st two output channels of Pd to your soundcard in jackpilot
- - connect the 8 outputs of iTunes to the 1st 8 inputs of Pd in jackpilot
- - connect the 8 outputs of Spitify to the 2nd 8 inputs of Pd in jackpilot

- - in Pd, you will get the
signals from iTunes using [adc~ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] and the
signals from iSpit using [adc~ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16]
- - whatever you send to [dac~ 1 2] will go out to your speakers.

mghadrt
IOhannes