[PD] (OT) safely connect piezo transducer to soundcard as microphone

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 16:16:17 CEST 2012

On 04/21/2012 12:38 AM, Martin Peach wrote:
> You could put a resistor in series to limit the current or a pair of
> diodes in parallel to clamp the voltage. Probably a pair of 1N4001s like
> this would work:
>
> IN---+------+-----OUT
> | |
> ^ v
> | |
> GND--+------+-----

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. If I understand correctly, here the
non-ideality of the diodes is what does the trick, and this would limit
the voltage to below the diode's drop, right? which is about 1V or so...

Now, thinking about it, wouldn't the following be even better? (this
hadn't come to my mind before)

  ^

with two ZENER diodes of appropriate reverse voltage? Facing each other?

So within the "allowed" voltage range there would be no (or much less)
distortion?

Maybe I'm being too naive here?