[PD] HID double triggers

James Dunn james at 4thharmonic.com
Sat Apr 21 16:22:22 CEST 2012

Quoth IOhannes m zmoelnig, on 21/04/2012 14:23:

> On 2012-04-18 20:27, Andrew Faraday wrote:
>> I've had this problem before with [hid], apparently it's a hardware
>> issue called 'debouncing', which is often ignored because it is often
>> irrelevant (pushed is pushed, for game controllers, rather than a
>> button-on/button-off signal used for most music systems).
>>
>> You can deal with the problem in pure data by using a trigger, float and
>> delay of one millisecond. See the attached patch, click the message
>> boxes and watch your terminal for the result.
> [change] seems to be the more appropriate solution here...
>
> fgmasdr
> IOhannes

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem I have with these two solutions
is that they only work when the double triggers are in sequence.
Sometime they arrive like this:

[hid] 0.7, written by Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
<mailto:hans at eds.org>
     compiled on Apr 15 2012 at 08:12:47
[hid] opened device 4 (/dev/input/event4): AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
print: key key_j 1
print: key key_l 1
print: key key_j 1
print: key key_l 1
print: key key_j 0
print: key key_j 0
print: key key_l 0
print: key key_l 0

So I would need to store the value of each key individually and check
each one with [change].
Instead of this long-winded method, I've downloaded [linuxevent] which
is working nicely so I think I'll stick with this even though it may be
deprecated?

Surely this is a bug with [hid] though?

James