[PD] [PD-announce] Satellite CCRMA workshop - Jun11-15 @STEIM, Amsterdam

Jonathan Reus reusjc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 18:05:09 CEST 2012

Hey all, apologies for cross-posting. But I think this is relevant to
anyone who'd like to experiment with mobile computing and music
interaction.

June 11-15 Edgar Berdahl and Florian Goltz will do a week-long intensive
workshop on the subject of music interaction using open, embedded
single-board linux computers and PureData.

Please see the workshop information below, and feel free to pass this along
to anyone you think would be interested!

Satellite CCRMA: Interactive design with open embedded computers
June 11th, 2012 10:00 am until June 15th, 2012

*Advanced registration is required for this course and can be made using this
online registration
form<http://www.steim.org/steim/event_registration.php?event=501>
.
*
This is an in-depth course in physical interaction design led by
researchers Edgar Berdahl and Florian Goltz. In this workshop we will
explore the essential notions of interactive art and invention through
working with small embeddable computers (the open, DIY-friendly Beagle
Board<http://beagleboard.org/>).
These small computers combine the connectivity of a laptop with the
computational power of a high-end smartphone; however they are less
expensive than either and fit inside a cigar box. We will dedicate much of
the workshop to prototyping new functional artworks, for example: musical
instruments, effects processors, interactive installation works, and
anything else you can imagine that requires high computational power in a
small, inexpensive footprint.

In the broader sense this workshop deals with interaction design: What
happens when human behaviours meet those of machines? How do the devices we
use determine the style of interaction? How do we design for the
limitations of human performance and the affordances of machines? A key
component of this workshop will be learning about the process of making
something that interacts with the real world. We will cover the topic of
physical interaction design in depth, using the physical interaction design
framework developed by Bill Verplank as a fundamental approach.

Specific topics we will cover include:

   - The core perspectives of physical interaction design: idea, metaphor,
   model, display, error, scenario, tasks, and control
   - Exercises in invention, brainstorming and sketching
   - A survey of existing controllers and interactive music practices
   - Embedded, open computing with Linux and the Beagle Board
   - Sensor technologies (force-sensitive, capacitive, optical, and
   acceleration) and the design of custom DIY sensors using conductive and
   piezoelectric fabrics
   - Applications of sensors and electronics to real-time music
   - Programming music synthesis and effects with PureData
   - Interfacing sensors with the Beagle Board using the Arduino Nano
   - Hands-on work with analog and digital electronics

*Dates: 11 – 15 June , 2012
Time: 10:00 – 19:00 each day with lunch break
Location: STEIM, Achtergracht 19, 1017WL Amsterdam
Cost: €300 registration + cost of workshop kit *(see below)
For those traveling from abroad, STEIM has available a number of rooms in
our artist hotel for a discounted rate. Please contact us directly by email
if you are interested in reserving one of these rooms.
*
For more information visit STEIM.ORG <http://steim.org/>

The Beagle Board at the heart of our creations will be running Satellite
CCRMA <https://ccrma.stanford.edu/%7Eeberdahl/Satellite/>, a special flavor
of the Linux operating system developed at Stanford University. Included in
Satellite CCRMA is PureData, a widely-used open-source visual programming
language for real-time sound synthesis and processing. We’ll be using
PureData for most of the programming of sound and interaction on our
devices.

The workshop is intended for musicians or composers, makers, engineers,
industrial designers, or anybody looking to learn more about interaction
design with basic analog and digital electronics. Please see the Physical
Interaction Design for Music course taught at Stanford
University<https://ccrma.stanford.edu/courses/250a/>for more
information.

* We will provide workshop kits containing all the necessary hardware
(BeagleBoard, Arduino Nano, breadboard, sensors, and components). The kits
can then be purchased and taken home at the end of the workshop after you
have built your prototypes. Thanks to a generous donation of components by
the FLORIS.CC webshop <http://www.pieterfloris.nl/shop/> we are able to
sell the kits for €165. The price of the kits may come down even further as
we seek out additional sponsors.

*WHAT TO BRING / PREPARE
*Each participant must bring a Max OS X, Linux, or Windows laptop. A pair
of headphones with a stereo minijack connector. And a willingness to
experiment and invent! To save time, we ask that Windows users pre-install
Cygwin in advance of the workshop so that openssh, xinit, and the
“required” packages are all available.

Even though we’ll be focusing on using PureData, any Linux-compatible
synthesis software *should* theoretically run on the BeagleBoard. If you’re
interested in using something other than PD please let us know beforehand
so we can prepare.

You should have some programming know-how (for example: MaxMSP, Javascript,
or Python) for this workshop, though you certainly don’t need to be an
expert. We will be providing numerous examples to get you off the ground.

The kits can be used for prototyping new kinds of effects boxes (for
instance, for guitar). If you are interested in creating a programmable
effects box then please email the workshop leaders in advance so we can
provide a 1/4″ guitar cable connector for you.

*WORKSHOP LEADERS
Edgar Berdahl* is the lead developer of the Satellite CCRMA platform for
developing new musical instruments and sound art installations. Edgar
received his PhD at CCRMA, Stanford University in the area of new musical
instrument design.  His research now spans the interdisciplinary fields of
new media art, haptics, force-feedback control, acoustics, actuated musical
instruments, physical modeling, physical interaction design, and Autonomous
New Media Artefacts (AutoNMA).  Edgar is the inventor of the haptic drum,
which enables a musician to make gestures that would otherwise be difficult
or impossible, and in general he aims to make new digital interactions seem
more analog.
*
Florian Goltz* is an artist and engineer living in Berlin who designs sound
art installations. Florian received a master’s degree in Communication
Science and Technical Acoustics from the Technical University of Berlin,
where he worked extensively with Arduino, Linux, Pure Data (pd), and
SuperCollider.

--
Jonathan Reus