[PD] using PD interface for visuals

alessandro contini aless.contini at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 11:50:32 CEST 2012

Hi André,
cool project!

I've been interested in the use of PD interface as visuals as well, and
created couple patches but with no success.
Do you use the fullscreen plugin?

You say you've seen some other experiences with this idea, can you maybe
share some other examples?
Thank you!

Alessandro

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 3:54 AM, André Bandeira
<teoria.musical at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> I currently developing a performance which uses the PD interface to
> generate the visuals. I already saw some experiences with this kind of
> idea, but never something very "mature", are there other people working
> with this?
>
>  So  I would like to share the videos of the performance:
>
> http://vimeo.com/41222516
>
> http://vimeo.com/41223018
>
> http://vimeo.com/41224842
>
> And a short description of what I thought and have done:
>
> english-
> em_bruto is an audio-visual performance that was born with the objective
> of exploring the interface of the software Pure Data (PD) as a medium of
> visual composition. Imagining that in this manner it would be possible
> promote an aestheticization of the "raw" interface of the sofware in an
> interesting way, as an allusion to the aesthetics of live coding, and so it
> would be feasible to add new values and meanings to abstract shapes like
> squares, circles and crosses.Therefore, the visual elements used to compose
> this work are objects that are part of the visual programming language of
> PD such as: objects, number boxes and mainly GUI elements (toggles, bangs,
> radios and canvasses). These elements are manipulated with a piece of music
> played live, which refers to some sounds of old synthesizers, computer
> glitches and unsuccessful mash-ups .This mixture ends up generating a
> performance that is accessible both to a specialized audience and for a
> general audience.
>
> portuguese-
> em_bruto é uma performance audio-visual que nasceu com o objetivo explorar
> a interface do software Pure Data (PD) como meio de composição visual.
> Imaginando-se que desta maneira seria possível promover uma estetização da
> interface “bruta” do sofware de uma forma interessante, como uma alusão à
> estética do live coding, e que assim também seria plausível agregar novos
> valores e significados à formas abstratas como quadrados, círculos e
> cruzes. Portanto os elementos utilizados para compor visualmente esta obra
> são objetos que fazem parte da linguagem de programação visual do PD como:
> objetos, caixas de número e principalmente os elementos GUI (toogles,
> bangs,radios e canvas). Estes elementos são manipulados junto a uma
> composição musical tocada ao vivo, que remete a alguns sons de
> sintetizadores antigos, glitches de computador e mash-ups mal sucedidos.
> Esta mistura acaba gerando uma performance que é acessível tanto para um
> público especializado quanto para um público geral.
>

> best,
> André

> André Damião
> www.vimeo.com/andredamiao

> [...]