[PD] what makes Pd-extended 0.43 so CPU-hungry?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Fri May 4 15:31:02 CEST 2012

Hello,

I've installed Pd-extended 0.43 versions (Linux and OSX) from the
autobuilds several times in the past year. The latest builds seem to
work fine in many aspects, but they are still so CPU-hungry: ~ 50%
more than Pd-extended 0.42. How come?

A while ago, the new PortAudio version was blamed
(http://www.mail-archive.com/pd-list@iem.at/msg50357.html). Indeed,
using Jack solves the load difference for OSX.

But on Debian I also observe a 50% load increase for the new
Pd-extended. No matter if ALSA or Jack is used. Does anyone have
similar observations with Linux builds?

BTW, I'm happy with Tk 8.5's antialiased font! Initially, I feared
that antialiasing was responsible for increased load on Debian, but
disabling GUI updates did not make noticeable difference. It seems
that antialiasing is done rather efficiently, the performance drop
must be somewhere else.

Katja