[PD] what makes Pd-extended 0.43 so CPU-hungry?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Sat May 5 21:43:45 CEST 2012

On OSX I use 'Activity Monitor' for quick check of CPU load and
Shark.app for serious performance profiling, but for GNU/Linux I don't
know a good equivalent of Shark. So on Debian I just start top, and
for my live performance setup which does ~40% CPU load with
Pd-extended 0.42, it is ~60% with 0.43. Top makes distinction between
'pdextended' and pd-gui, but heavy GUI use is reflected in increasing
percentages for Xorg process as well. However, the load-increase with
Pd-extended 0.43 is on account of the pdextended process (with my
setups at least). Wish I could track that down to specific functions
like with Shark.app.

In the case of OSX it was clearly the Apple dsp function calls
consuming a great deal of CPU time, which could be avoided by using an
external soundcard instead of the internal card, and Jack instead of
PortAudio.

I've tried to use Oprofile on Debian, but this gives me a kernel
failure soon as I start sampling. Does anyone know of a fine
performance profiler for GNU/Linux?

Katja