[PD] new disis_wiimote : undefined symbol: sys_flushtogui

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu May 10 19:08:56 CEST 2012

On May 7, 2012, at 7:41 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

> On 05/07/2012 07:33 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
>> On 05/07/2012 07:06 PM, Benjah @ 01xy.fr wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> while trying to compile the new disis_wiimote with the L2Ork version of CWiid library on ubuntu 10.04 against Pd extended 0.42.5 or Pd 0.43.2, I get "disis_wiimote.pd_linux: undefined symbol: sys_flushtogui" when trying to load the help patch disis_wiimote-help.pd and the object is not created.
>>> Any idea why ?
>>
>> Because pd-l2ork exposes this function to externals and default pd doesn't. Current disis_wiimote only works with pd-l2ork and with L2Ork version of CWiid library. In return, it provides features that no other FOSS external can, such as passthrough mode support and xrun-free bidirectional communication.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Ico
>
> Forgot to mention, if using pd-l2ork is not an option (which it shouldn't be, at least not on Linux since it is 100% backwards compatible), you could comment out the line in the source containing the said call as it is more of a cosmetic thing (it posts message to console before trying to connect, otherwise, the text "press 1 and 2 simultaneously to connect..." due to threaded design ends up being posted after the wiimote has connected.

Why do you think that this can only be done by exposing sys_flushtogui()?  My guess is that this can be done using the current public API, but I'd to know more about the issue to make a concrete suggestion.

There are a number of objects that handle bidirectional communication with hardware and they don't need sys_flushtogui(). [comport] and [hidio] come to mind.  Then there are the network objects, which also handle bidirectional communication.