[PD] variable receive objects?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat May 12 22:29:48 CEST 2012

----- Original Message -----

That actually increases the risk of name clashes, as any other set of abstractions
using this common idiom will leak data to the other set.

> You could pass $0 as argument to both
> abstraction to make it a bit local or better yet: Use [inlet]s to make it as
> local as it gets in Pd. Inlets rock!

I agree about the inlets.  I find that people are too quick to make a lot of things
nonlocal when they start working with gop gui abstractions.

However, there comes a point when making a serious user interface that
wires start to get in the way, esp. on some of the more complex interfaces people
have made in Pd for sequencing, real-time performance, etc.  I'd say at the level
where the author is designing for user's who don't necessarily need to know the ins
and outs of Pd's dataflow paradigm, wires become a hindrance.

Of course that doesn't mean one can't do normal Pd patching using only GUI objects.
I think Ivica is doing this with a special version of Pd with a limited set of user-friendly GUI
objects-- there, it's still important to use wires to show the path the signal takes.  (Just like
in a DAW the user wants to know the order in which the signal gets processed by a series
of filters.)

-Jonathan