[PD] controlling output to 32+ speakers

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu May 17 10:11:07 CEST 2012

On 05/16/2012 08:43 PM, Rick Snow wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Long time list lurker with a few open/broad questions:
>
> What is the best way to route/diffuse/spatialize independent audio to
> speaker arrays of more than the standard 8, 16, 32?

the "standard" ways to do that include
- vbap
- ambisonics
- WFS (though your speaker numbers seems ridiculously low for WFS)

you haven't mentioned at all, whether you want to use pantophonic (2d)
or periphonic (3d) spatialization.

here at the IEM, we are mostly using ambisonics to drive our 24+ (our
newer system is 33 channels) hemispheric louspeaker setups (for 3d audio
reproduction)
compared to other systems, ambisonics has the great advantage that you
have an intermediate format that is independent of both your sources and
the loudspeaker setup. (read: it scales well to any number of virtual
sources and speakers)

as for literature/papers, there are entire conferences dedicated to
spatial audio. (e.g. http://ambisonics-symposium.org :-))

fgmsdr
IOhannes