[PD] speaker routing

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Thu May 17 15:17:46 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Rick Snow <ricksnow at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Andr?s,
>
> By Independent audio I meant audio generated from a pd patch or other
> computer application and diffused across the array of speakers, ie. not
> having all the speakers limited to playing the same sound like a PA system
> in a roller skating rink.
>
> In general I was asking more of a hardware question: madi cards etc.
>
> As for software I've just learned that pd is limited to 32 channel dacs.
>  I guess networking several instances of pd will give you all the channels
> you need.
>
> cheers,
> Rick

OK, seems IOhannes already mentioned this in more comprehensive context:
Wave Field Simulation. There are lots of papers out there, like this one
from last year's AES conference:
http://www.mattmontag.com/media/2011/10/AES-131-e-brief-Montag-Wave-Field-Synthesis-by-Multiple-Line-Arrays.pdf

I also doubt that Pd would be the best tool for this... networked computers
may have a latency that just messes up all the precise timing. I guess you
will need something timecoded, and/or low latency hardware, the latter
possibly being so called "processors" or "speaker drivers" which are DSPs
specifically designed to drive speaker arrays.

András