[PD] variable receive objects?

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Mon May 28 06:10:30 CEST 2012

On 05/27/2012 05:35 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> What if the send/receive property was handled via clock_delay(0); ? If
> I understand the underlying mechanism correctly, this would put the
> changing of the receive at the end of the current working queue and/or
> the beginning of the next one. Either way, the process that had to
> take place would've either already taken place or would happen after
> the change was done. Again, all this is assuming I understand how the
> clock_delay(0); works. This would generate a bit of an out-of-sequence
> delay (in terms of order of execution), but if that solves the crash,
> it would be probably a trade-off worth tolerating. Perhaps adding a
> second outlet that signals that the receive has been reset (e.g. via
> bang) would allow to sync the rest of the operations... All that said,
> this is awful close to being a hack rather than a solution.

Never mind. Just had a look at pd_bind/unbind code. This makes me wonder
what if all bindings/unbindings were handled as lists? Would this
potentially break anything (other than having to modify bind/unbind
mechanism)? Does anything else depend on 2-member list vs. 1-member
pointer in terms of bindings? I suspect there would be some cpu impact
on having it implemented this way, but not that much.

--
Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A
Composition, Music Technology