[PD] gemwin frame rate limit?

Cyrille Henry ch at chnry.net
Thu May 31 17:51:45 CEST 2012

Le 31/05/2012 14:36, William Brent a écrit :
> Thanks Chris & Cyrille.  I don't have an nvidia GPU, so I'll see what I can find in the Xorg.conf.  For totally digital displays, how does the refresh rate come into play?  I'm seeing out there that VBL doesn't apply to digital.
If you don't sync to VBlank, the screen can display the top of an image, then a new image is rendered so the bottom of a screen display the new image.

> I tried single buffer mode with each metro tick banging the gemhead and then clearing the gemwin, but got jittery results with the video stream.
certainly the same kind of what you'll get without VBlank sync.

> I haven't looked at triple buffering, is there some documentation you could point me to on that?
i did not find lot's of documentation around this. it's just a flag for nvidia card, i don't know if other allow it too.
internet is your friend.

> The reason I want faster than screen rendering is that I'm doing video tracking.  If the control streams from the tracking algorithm can be updated faster than the refresh rate, that would be ideal.  Or is it not possible to run an algorithm on frames that fall between the cracks of the refresh rate and aren't fully displayed on the screen?

best is to stay with 60Fps, sync to VBlank, for the rendering part. (you can't go faster than the screen anyway).
for video tracking, if you got a fast camera, you can use a gemhead at other speed than the rendered one :
stop the gemhead sending it a 0, then use a metro to bang the gemhead at the desired frequency.

cheers