[PD] [PD-dev] Plugins preferences (Was Re: Plugins Plugin error)

yvan volochine yvan.pd at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 04:27:10 CEST 2012

On 06/01/2012 11:18 PM, András Murányi wrote:
> What do you think about changing the pd_guiprefs interface in way like this:
>   (current ->  proposed:)
>   domain (always "pd-extended") ->  could be hardwired to "pd-extended"

`domain' is the preferences folder path so I'm not sure I really follow
your proposal..
why would you "hardwire" (hardcode??) it to `pd-extended'? ()please let
me know if I miss something)

IIRC "domain" is just the preferences folder path which differs
depending on your OS..
I do agree that it has a bad name though..

>   key (name of the owner module, eg. "recentfiles") ->  domain
>   (currently doesn't exist) ->  key (so that you can target a single line in
> a config file)
>   value (the content of the whole file) ->  value (the value of a single key)
> This change would make pd_guiprefs compatible with the .pdextended file as
> well. Of course, then recentfiles.conf will look something like this:
>   recentfile1: /path/to/recentfile.pd
>   recentfile2: /path/to/another.pd

IMHO this is a nasty preferences file design..
when you wanna remove one line in the middle, you have to change all
following lines accordingly (like in .pdsettings::path)

why not just use a modern-world json|yaml config file?

http://yvanvolochine.com
http://vimeo.com/yv
http://soundcloud.com/yvanvolochine